Sunday, September 14, 2008

Geting Here - Part 3 of 3

Part 3 of an entry written more than a month ago...wow...

-------------------------------


So anyways...Asia...it was an old idea of mine, maybe a dream even, to one day visit some part of East-Asia. This was, of course, before university. Before I studied Asian History and before I gave up on doing anything that cost me more than $400.

Riding along in this bus from Incheon to Seoul I sat and stared out the window. Taking in the new landscape, the soil with it's reddish tint, the grass with a different shade of green, trees at odd angles, and mountains everywhere, it finally hit me. I remembered that I was deep into something that I had always wanted to do. Something that I'd forgotten about but something that had stayed deep in my brain. I started to think back to the job fair months ago...maybe talking to that recruiter was more than just an impulse. Maybe it was a sub-conscious desire managing to break through my jaded exterior. Then again, there's an equal chance that it wasn't. Speculation aside, all that I can really confirm is that I am in East-Asia. And it is good.



So...as I write this entry, sitting in A Twosome Place Cafe in Gangnam while sipping a 2500 Won espresso, I'm overjoyed that I came to Korea and I'm hopeful that I can quickly acculturate to a functional degree. Funny to think that only one day after stepping off the plane I'm realising that I'm actually here fulfilling a long-held dream. I'm not just coming to a foreign country to make a decent wage. On top of that, I'm very glad that I'm not just taking a 'trip' here. Instead of being here to do stuff and sightsee I actually feel a lot of pressure to do more than just 'experience' new things. I feel pressure not just to live, but to live in a way that is almost completely new to me. But, then again...right now it's hard to say what I think. It's not hard to forget that this is just day one...only five hours into day one. But even in that short time I already feel like I've fulfilled a dream. Because of that, I really need to give thanks to today. I need to thank the short walk I took for reminding me of the importance of a single hour...just one single hour of walking to clear my mind and realign my thoughts.


---------------------

It took that long to just recap a bit of writing from day one....woops

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm loving this already. You're good at giving an inkling of what it is to be you in that place--it all sounds real and new-minted, and I hope you waste much time on your writing endeavours. Ontario is rainy today and chill, full of the gloom of uninspired political debates on both sides of the border, and the thud of falling economies. Cheer us up.
Love, Auntie Bev who's waiting for Cara to get here

about this site