Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Part one of Day 2!

I don't have a lot of free time right now so I'm just going to type up part of what I'd written on Sunday, mostly unedited, so thoughts tend to be all over the place!

8.10.08

Well, I went out for a walk, Culture shock gone. All that's left is the realisation that until I learn more Hangul, I'm just a pale idiot who can only smile, nod, and hopefully not offend anybody.

My intial impression of this city was somewhat tainted by the weather, my lethargy, and the blazing pace with which I was taken to my hotel. In fact, Seoul is not the dingy looking and insane city with a protest going on mere blocks away from my hotel. It's actually a thriving metropolis with way too many people, hilarious drivers, and a bizarre smell that hangs in the air. I haven't figured out what it is. Maybe it could be sewage, garlic, or a combination of both, I'm really not sure. I'm certain that I'll get used to it, but right now I smell it everywhere, taste it in everything. It's just so oppressive!

When stepping out of the hotel that morning, I was amazed by the cicadas. Not only the volume, but the variety. Some emit the same telltale hum of our cicadas while others chirp like birds. Then, there are my favourite ones whom I've deemed "serious business cicadas". They're so loud that you actually have to raise your voice to be heard near them. Initially, I had thought that I was hearing some sort of alarm or power tool but this assessment quickly changed as I kept hearing it as I passed by certain trees. Only then did I realise that this super loud noise was actually coming from a bug! Amazing stuff.

Back to the walk...my plan was to meet up with a friend later in the day near 강남(gangnam) station. Leaving the hotel, I only had a small map printed on the back of my hotel card holder. I had memorised specific businesses as landmarks but never bothered to geographically orient myself. My plan was that if I reached a small street I had to go the other way while if I hit a big street it would be the right way. So I took a left turn and crossed the street to the sidewalk then decided that right would be the better direction. This is where I got acquainted with the cicadas. Passing a phallus like sign post I came to an intersection...wrong way? Thankfully, no. I recognized a banner hanging on a wall from my cab ride in yesterday. So, if I took a right again, I would get to the street leading to Gangnam station! As I walked along tlong the main street I quickly came upon a half basket that protected a staircase, what I soon learned was a subway entrance. Hanging above and behind it was a large sign with a 3 on it and some hangul underneath. I stopped and slowly pieced together the word. "K...ang....na...m...oh! Gangnam!" I felt pretty happy, I wasn't lost, I was early, and since it was only 10:45, I had a lot of time to look around before meeting my friend at 1pm.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! Glad to hear you're surviving the culture shock. If/when you get a computer or find yourself an internet cafe we can make Skype dates. I've already downloaded the program and the e-mail address I use is richellelynne@gmail.com (username richellelynne). I'm starting to feel a little better and now Kevin is starting to feel rotten. I did something crazy and decided to get my ears pierced. I figure since I'm on antibiotics now is the best time to do it with the least chance of infection (always thinking too much). Anyway, today is a good day and I'm going to enjoy it. Today is Nana's birthday; I called and had a nice talk with her. I hope this finds you well and I anxiously await future updates.

Love Shell

about this site