Friday, January 30, 2009

I think I figured it out...

I think I figured out why blogs like this tend to fizzle out over time. The feelings of being lost in an exotic place fade as things become more familiar, as routine sets in. Woops....


So just a small story. I got a haircut yesterday. It's not a big change, but change enough. But, the funny thing about the haircut was that I managed to scare the hairdresser. In the past couple of weeks I've really applied myself to learning Korean. Each day I've been studying more and more...and really, it's about time. It's something I should have begun months ago. Oh well. Anyways, my hair is being cut and communication is thin. As a general rule here, if you're a foreigner it is assumed that you speak no Korean. I speak a little. The hairdresser points to the front of my hair and makes a cutting motion and an inquisitive face. So...being complacent about my hairstyles, I simply look to her and ask -in Korean- "What do you think?". She screwed up her face and I repeated, "What do you think?".

Her reaction was as if she had been spoken to by the dead, she did a spin, a laugh, and made an incredulous statement in Korean. Then, she said we should cut that part of my hair. After this...there was very little I could communicate to her. But not next time.

0 comments:

about this site