Haven't updated in waaaayyyy too long. Awful. No editing. Enjoy!
To this point I haven't written anything about teaching, mostly because I don't feel it fair to talk about my kids on this kind of medium. But, there's really nothing to stop me from talking about, well...me.
Now at this point in my contract, I'm not the best teacher and I will definitely never stop trying to better myself, but I have learned a few things in a short time. One of the most important things is having learned when to laugh or simply when to say nothing. Humour is incredibly important in teaching, it shows vulnerability and makes one more accessible. However, humour can also unhinge a classroom and send kids into chaos. So it takes some keen micromanaging of random events to assure that things, when they don't go as planned, still manage to go as "planned".
The first story I'd like to share was reminded to me by one of my students this past Tuesday. It happened in the first month of my time at this job. When teaching the more basic classes to younger students it becomes habit to perform as kind of a clown. Although the material is almost enough to stimulate the interest of the kids it's nearly impossible to avoid clowning around to maintain the energy level of the class. In recent weeks this has basically degenerated into random sound effects, overly dramatic re-enactments of things, and strange jokes, at the beginning my attempts were more circus like.
When teaching I like to wear dress clothing. Shirts and ties and all that. Well, the glory of long sleeve collared shirts is that they have front pockets. Now, a front pocket is very useful; it can hold pens, money, paper, even snacks. Moreover, the front pocket can be used to catch things that have been thrown in the air. Now, since my front pockets carry so much in a day, I believed that it was sewn on very strongly. As such, I took it upon myself to illustrate the difference between the prepositions 'in' and 'on' with a quick demonstration involving an eraser, my head, and my shirt pocket.
Displaying 'on' was simple, I just had to place the erase atop my head and the kids shouted out the correct preposition. Now, for 'in', I had something special in mind. I tossed the eraser into the air and attempted to catch it in my shirt pocket...the first attempt was a failure. I tried again and missed but I couldn't stop here, my kids were enjoying seeing their teacher mess up. I threw the eraser into the air once more and watched its decent. I was almost in the perfect position to catch it! I lunged forward, stretching my pocket in order to catch the eraser. I felt the eraser hit the fabric and then fall to the ground. The class erupted in laughter. At first I was confused. Then, I noticed that, hanging limply from my chest, was a flap of fabric that had once been my pocket. In my zeal to show off my 'mad skills' to the class I had torn the pocket right off of my shirt. The children pointed and laughed and I stammered for a second for what to do. Do I say nothing? Do I pretend like it was supposed to happen? Or do I laugh? I chose the last option. I laughed with the class and played around with the pocket to diffuse the situation. For the remainder of the day, about 4.5 hours, I taught with a shirt with a former pocket hanging from my chest. Honestly, I barely noticed. Sometimes you just have to laugh!
Now...for when it's better to say nothing. I consider myself more of a musician than an artist but teaching requires more drawing than singing. As such, I spend a lot of time at the board crafting crude drawings to illustrate points and stimulate interest. In the chaos of drawing both quickly and poorly my creations can sometimes end up looking like some pretty strange things. Boats as bananas, dogs as horses, and people like monsters. Sometimes its good to make fun of your own drawings or play along with the kids poking fun at them. Other times, they don't seem to pick up on what's wrong, or only a few pick up on what's terribly wrong but are a little embarrassed to say anything. This is particularly the case when drawing a map of Korea and how it's attached to the Asian continent.
I have a specific example from early on that better displays how it's best to say nothing in some situations. I was drawing a lakeside scene in order to illustrate what a lighthouse was and what a pier was. Everything was going fine at the start, the beach was there, the water, the horizon, and the pier. Then I had to draw the lighthouse. I drew it quickly, not too good of an idea. After I'd finished, I did a double take...it's shape was a little suggestive. I hoped none of the kids would notice. As I was talking about the scene and identifying the parts, I noticed one of my kids was trying to hold back some laughter. I made eye contact and he pointed at the lighthouse, "teacher, it is a.." I interrupted him, "lighthouse, yes...anyways" He kept trying not to laugh and I kept from letting on that something was horribly wrong with my drawing on the board. Sometimes it seems that if you don't acknowledge that anything is wrong the kids will follow along, despite their better judgement.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
To Laugh or Say Nothing
Posted by ansanman at 11:10 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment